Thursday, February 28, 2008

smoking

i know i am the biggest liar when it comes to cleaning up my act, but i am putting this in writing so that i have to see it and answer to it, and don't do my usual procrastination act. saturday is march 1st. i turn 41 sixteen days later. i need to quit smoking for lil g and for myself and those who love me. i need to be strong and just say, believe and internalize that it is over and on to a better, longer and healthier life.

i feel weak but the sense of urgency is unbearably pressing.

i know i've told you all to leave me alone about it before. please, feel free to harp. i need help.

3 comments:

Rambler said...

I have 13 months without a smoke. The trick for me has been to think of it not as taking something away, but rather that I gave myself a gift. Sounds lame, but it works. You are givng yourself a gift by quitting. Now I don't have it licked, but it is longest I've gone clean.

In the early months, you have to steer clear of things that you associate with smoking. I'm not saying quit coffee or beer, just don't drink as much or drink it at times and places you don't usually drink it. Eat carrots and chew gum. I didn't do the nicotine gum. I bought some, but never used it. I recommend dentyne artic chill, it's the crack of gum.


Most of all, when that urge hits, just don't act on it and take a deep breath or walk around the block. IT DOES PASS.

Good luck.

Rambler said...

Oh and like you, I quit on my birthday, works with that whole gift giving thing. Plus, it's just too much of a pain in the ass to smoke anymore. The fun is gone.

retotted said...

R-
that's how i'm looking at it. for the first time, i'm not looking at it as something i'll miss, more like what i hope to gain, and honestly it's been easier this way. however, i still have broken down a few times. i'm still a million miles from even last week, but still need more strength. thanks for the advice