Tuesday, February 5, 2008

fancy things

Having grown up as blue collar as they come, I have been very fortunate. I got the most important lessons at an early life, "no, you cannot have that as we cannot afford it...the end" which ultimately meant learning the value of things. But I have also inherited the blue-collar curse, I fear.

GIYHB and I make an ok living. But as a working mom (omg, i cannot believe that i am defined as a working mom...i was just a kid yesterday) with lots of commitments and friends, I value time more than anything. This being said, I have a hard time "hiring" anyone to do anything for me. The bathroom floor needs tiling? Hmm, let me learn how to tile. The blah-blah-blah needs blah-blahing? I'll start a company that blah-blahs. That's just how I am. Even at work, I'd never ask anyone to do anything I wouldn't do. In fact, just go home, I'll do it.

So, my problem now. My house needs cleaning, regularly and thoroughly and even more regularly. Between lil G, Big G, our pets, us , on-going household projects and our frequent visitors, it's daunting. I had someone come once, and was so horrified the whole time that it was stress-inducing rather than relieving.

I feel too fancy hiring a regular cleaning person, even though we can afford it and desparately need it. How can I get past he feeling of being too big for my britches, and just do it?

4 comments:

Rambler said...

I am the same way. Once you start doing though, you'll wonder why you didn't do it ten years ago. ANd it's not that expensive. Do it. You deserve it. That's the real issue, believing you deserve little things like this.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny...coming from you. :)

retotted said...

Sorry Rambler, but it was a lil funny

Rambler said...

anonymous may not be aware that I'm much better at giving advice than taking it...or I'm missing something here.