Tuesday, February 5, 2008

all guts, no glory

Stopped eating yesterday after liquid lunch (not the fun kind of liquid lunch, more like the broth from a box-lind-of-liquid lunch). 6pm last night start chug-a-lugging some pretty foul tasting liquid. Much like gatorade, except sans flavor + salt. And I had to drink a gallon of the potion within 3 hrs. After 5 1/2 hrs, I finish, after throwing up into my mouth every so often and many trips to the can. Starving, dizzy and nauseated.

Wake up at 7, exhausted, but ok-surprisingly not hungry. Last drink of water 8 am, and was pretty thirsty until after 2:00 appointment. But, not too bad.

Honestly the thing I was most afraid of was not the miles of lubed-tubing headed for my back door, but the IV. Anesthesiologist, was awesome, was tolerant of my needle phobia and had it in, and me drugged in two shakes of my own tail. There was a video monitor directly in front of me for my viewing displeasure, but I was out throughout the entire violation.

Immediately after (which according to KG was all of 40 min, including a brief "sleep-it-off session"), was up and about, albeit slightly stupefied. Needed fish sticks, mac-n-cheese (from the box kind) for dinner so had slightly surreal grocery store trip en route home.

All in all, I'd rate the colonscopy pretty high in terms of medical procedures. Little uncomfortable, but very tolerable. If you have to have one, or think you should, go for it. Sorry to sound like Katie Couric, but really for such a small amount of discomfort, you could really prevent yourself from later troubles. Your guts will thank you for it.

No comments: