Saturday, May 31, 2008

update on beatdown

Thanks for all your kind comments and messages......

ME: So, I went to work the next day, mainly to send a message to staff and students. Left a little early because I needed to lie down. Feel like I was been beaten with a bag of oranges and my neck feels tight and tough as a pot roast. One of my ribs hurts pretty bad, but I don't think it's broken because I heard its hard to breathe if it is. I kept up appearances and tried to not let the pain show too much, but still emotionally unsettled and feeling pretty antisocial. Just in a semi-deep funk. No. Honestly, I'm freaked out to the bone. I've been working with these kids for 16+ years. I've been accidentally hurt many times before, and I've had parents attack me, but this is my first out and out intentional attack from a kid. I have solid relationships with the majority of my kids (not all, but most). I'm pretty fucked up from it.

TEACHER: Kid made an allegation of corporal punishment against the teacher, who I had to remove from teaching duties until an investigation is completed. Gets spit at and then punished on top of it. No good deed goes unpunished.

KID: Gets 10 days suspension. The kicker...he'll still be in school. In-school suspension. Because they are emotionally/behaviorally disturbed, it is against the law to suspend them at home. "It's punishing them for their disability"

ICING ON CAKE: After I left early, two kids went into an empty room and had sex (with two student onlookers) Girl then claimed rape, and had to be sent to hospital for exam and morning after pill. I'm potentially on the chopping block for "allowing for insufficient supervision of students". Someone oughtta write this shit down.......

3 comments:

Rambler said...

someone is....keep it coming. Keep writing it and let it take shape and you will have something real from the front lines for almost 20 years as oppossed to the observations of some rich shit who does six months in an inner-cit school and then elightens us with all he has seen. Tell it the way it is and you will do much good for yourself and others.

Gina said...

It's baffling and unacceptable that the kid would be permitted back on school grounds. After threats and attacks? You're expected to be prepared for this kind of thing at all times? And have a plan for adequate supervision? A lot to ask of a human being not to grow weary of doing good. Stupid rules oughta be challanged by other concerned parents. Get that footage out there. The story needs to be told.

Tricia said...

rambler makes a great point. this is so much more insightful.