Tuesday, September 30, 2008

that was then. this is now.

My parents were always at battle and searching for places to ship me to for a weekend or two. My great aunt Mimi often fit the bill. My great aunt has lived on West 12th/6th avenue since 1970. The drill was that they would put me on the train at a given time and she would meet my train at arrival. As I got slightly older, and she got less able to move around, I would then have to navigate the subway to her house. So, around 9 or 10 years old, i knew how to get to greenwich village from grand central easily. I would have my LLbean backpack and meander the trails to the right track and feel so cool. So free. So cool. So free..............

I cannot believe that i was actually allowed to do this with permission, as it was so friggin dangerous. But, that was then and this is now.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

maybe it was too young, but i think it's a shame kids can't feel this kind of freedom till they're too self-conscious to enjoy it.