Wednesday, September 3, 2008

in a new place

my work course has added yet another twist or two to my inner spring. my previous responsibilities (i may have, er mentioned them once or twice), include supervising staff who teach the emotionally and behaviorally disturbed, gangster-esqe-types.

in addition to what i have been doing, i will now also supervise a site of 4 classes of autistic high school students.

i was so pumped at first, great location, just off of court street in cobble hill. finally. normal things, places, people to look at on my way in and out. an unusual diversion from my ghetto trails.

first day with students. me. humbled.

you start to look at things differently when you assist in changing a 16 year old girls diaper, and know that she will be forever cognitively lower than your own two year old son. and, on the way home, i could not see anything for the tears.

me. humbled. humbled.

No comments: