Wednesday, July 23, 2008

rainmen

I work in a school with classes of children on the autistic spectrum. I have never directly supervised this population, but will be doing so next autumn. New learning for me.

After my nightmare in ct on saturday, my brother called me on sunday and invited me up. Again to hang by the pool. I go, with Gilly.

To make a long story short.....i truly believe that my brother may have undiagnosed aspergers syndrome. And then it makes me think my dad might also have a touch.

They act as if they are listening, but never recall a thing i say, even two minutes later. Their reason for speaking (which is minimal-they do not talk much, aka, at all) is only to be heard.
Attention span: only on the one thing they are doing, for one minute increments. Also, way too easily overly-irritated by their environment.

4 comments:

Sophie G. said...

Hello,
First i would like to tell you that your blog really brings out who
you are, and a blog which is something so personal , is hard to get a readers understandings and
viewer ship but i think you've done a great job. awesome!
In the mean tim a bit about myself , i work in paris in a company called " on aura tout vu"
www.onauratoutvu.com
as you can see it from the name that its very french.. lol
but i thought u might be interested in it.. as you always write about new , innovative and inspiring ideas and details.. i thought our company might
interest you.. my request to you would be to put our website link on your blog page.. or write about us with our website link on the article..
if we interest you of course!
please visit our website for a more comprenhensive information and also feel free to email me.. for anything else at
Sophieg83@gmail.com
in the mean time keep posting!
take care and have a great week.

Sophie

SKL said...

Maybe they just learned to block out the other member of your family by using minimal responses?

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

Sophia with her thinly veiled flattery. It's like she isn't even .... Anyway. I was always uncomfortable with the pronunciation of the word. Ass-burgers. I hope your Dad and brother don't have that, and if they do better they don't know.

my mom has that same problem with my dad. it's like...talking to a wall. There, but really not interested in what she's talking about. He's just " Uh huh...uh huh.." i think it's too much of a strain to really listen. I was reading that the amount of testosterone wash baby boys get in utero deminishes communication pathways between left and right brainial hemispheres, which can slow them down considerably in the language and communications department. Subsequely, most men can only handle one thing at a time. On the brighter side, they have much better focus than women. They listen better when they are freed up to do so. Maybe your Dad and brother were busy focusing on something else. I have a theory that boys get so many words a day to speak, and after that the shop is closed for the day. No rollovers.

So did you get the sushi?