Saturday, April 26, 2008

growing pains


Just as my clematis plants are almost 4 feet tall and ready to bloom, and my more tender, and established perennials are starting to poke out of the ground, I have to now tear out 1/3 of my garden so that the neighbors can stucco the brick wall that backs my garden, due to leaks. I cried when I realized just how many plants I am probably going to lose. Friends and family scoffed at me, laughing that I was getting so upset, and suggesting that the neighbor can simply replace them. However, I have gotten very attached to THESE particular plants, and like pets, they don't get replaced without mourning.

4 comments:

andtheend. said...

i'll sit shiva.

retotted said...

I wish you were here to sit shiva with me me some night soon. I was bawling this afternoon as I tried so stressfully to dig up and try to preserve the lives of my plants.

Gina said...

I understand your bleeding heart. Perennials are like the one gift that just keeps giving and getting bigger year after year. Couldn't you just get a wheel barrow and dig down and salvage as much of that ground as possible? I know the roots go deep but you'd probably get a lot of them. They're pretty hearty plants. Where there is a will, there is a way...

Anonymous said...

For the record: I did not scoff. I simply suggested they work around the most valuable. crass, I know. But- I think you may be surprised by the regard for plants my Asian friends have. XX, jbird.